August 20, 2011

Dream Garage




So many bikes, so little money. Have you ever lusted after some particularly cool bike, opened a magazine and stared at that bike for a long time, stopped in front of the bike shop, nose pressed on the window and imagined yourself riding that beauty into the sunset?
Of course you have!
And have you noticed that as your mood changes, so does the choice of the bike you ride or would like to ride? There's a bike for every mood I think.


Well, just like you, I have my fair share of dream bikes. Bikes I have ridden so many times on the wings of my imagination that I developed a special relationship with them. But these are bikes I'll (most probably) never own in real life. Nevermind, we can't have everything, right?! But we sure as hell can have dreams!
Ladies and gentlemen.....my DREAM GARAGE!


THE CLASSIC


This bike has a special place in my (dream) garage. Actually, it stands on a little podium under the protection of a glass cover, illuminated by spotlights, just like a priceless piece of art. I take it out for a ride on very
special occasions.


1940 Brough Superior SS100
The Brough Superior SS 100 was designed and built by George Brough in England in 1924. Although every bike was designed to meet specific customer requirements, 69 SS100s were produced in 1925 and at £170 were advertised by Brough (without permission) as the "Rolls Royce of Motorcycles". All bikes had a guarantee that they were capable of 100 mph (160 km/h). The SS100 (Super Sport) was the first custom motorcycle with components chosen from many different suppliers. 

And here an interesting story regarding this beautiful bike.


T. E. Lawrence (known as Lawrence of Arabia) bought one of the first SS100s in 1925 having previously owned three Brough SS80’s. The crash that would end Lawrence's life came while riding another SS100, on a narrow road near his cottage in 1935. The accident occurred because a dip in the road obstructed his view of two boys on bicycles. Swerving to avoid them, Lawrence lost control and was thrown over the handlebars. He was not wearing a helmet and suffered serious head injuries that left him in a coma; he died after six days in hospital. One of the doctors attending him was the neurosurgeon, Hugh Cairns. He consequently began a long study of what he saw as the unnecessary loss of life by motorcycle dispatch riders through head injuries and his research led to the use of crash helmets by both military and civilian motorcyclists. As a consequence of treating Lawrence, Sir Hugh Cairns ultimately saved the lives of many motorcyclists since.


THE MUSCLE BIKE
You had a long day at work and you have to let off some steam. You might go to a pub, get drunk and start a fight. I, on the other hand, open my dream garage and take out my Ducati Streetfighter! The perfect medicine against....ehm....everything?!?


THE RACER
Contrary to what some think, I do like race bikes. Not so much the modern ones, but rather the old ones...the very old ones...the first race bikes to be precise. My dream garage features a 100 year old Indian board track racer. Raw, essential, NO brakes! FANTASTIC!


Board track was a type of motorsport, popular in the United States between the second and third decades of the 20th century, where competition was conducted on oval race courses with surfaces composed of wooden planks


THE DAILY WORKHORSE
This is probably the only bike I could move from the dream garage to the real garage. Going to buy groceries with style? Vespa with sidecar is the answer.



THE SHOW OFF
Sometimes even I feel the need to show off a little with something truly unique. For such occasions I take out my 1-in-the-world, hand-made, ueber-expensive Japanese custom bike. Ok, it has a HD engine...but that's just to keep things more interesting. With a Honda engine nothing ever happens.....booooring!



What would you expect after someone spent a long 7,500 hours hand-crafting a motorcycle? Obviously, an unparalleled creation! Chicara Nagata’s award-winning motorcycles are literally unparalleled. They are not just motorcycles, but masterpieces. Other than the antique Harley Davidson engines, the 500 parts used in his every motorcycle are handcrafted. These amazing works of art are not cheap either, with every single motorcycle being sold for $1 million.


THE RACER 2
Ok, I know I said I don't really like modern race bikes, but for every rule there's an exception. I had the MV Agusta F3 as a "bike of the week" a few weeks back and I just had to make some space for it in my dream garage. It's just sex on wheels this one. Like one of those incredibly beautiful girls you just can't take your eyes off....hmmmmm....yeah....you, yes you.....ohh baby, you're so HOT!


THE STUNT BIKE
There are days when I don't want to go fast, when I don't care about being comfortable, when I can't be bothered to care about looks and style. Some days I just want to jump on things, ride at 0.5km/h and be unbelievably uncomfortable. Those are the days I take my Gas Gas 2010 TXT ProTrials motorcycle out of my dream garage and practice the ZEN of balance.



THE POCKET BIKE
When everything else fails and I just can't find a bike to match my mood, that's when the pocket bike come in. I always wanted to have a pocket bike to fool around, but at the same time I don't want to have one of those boring 50cc's.... I need a pocket bike with BALLS!! That's why I added this GSX 1000 pocket bike to my dream garage. If you go over the top, at least do it right!

There's one more bike in my dream garage, but I prefer not to share it for now. Maybe if you can guess what it is, I'll let you have a go on it! :-)

2 comments:

Ben said...

That Vespa sidecar just looks like a giant golden dildo.

OmegaRacer said...

what is it with your obsession with dildos?